1294 (1) Landscaped areas must be provided in accordance with a landscape plan approved by the Development Authority.
(2) A landscape plan for the entire development must be submitted as part of each development permit application, where changes are proposed to the building or parcel, and must show at least the following:
(a) the existing and proposed topography;
(b) the existing vegetation and indicate whether it is to be retained or removed;
(c) the layout of berms, open space systems, pedestrian circulation, retaining walls, screening, slope of the land, soft surfaced landscaped areas and hard surfaced landscaped areas;
(d) the types, species, sizes and numbers of plant material and the types of landscaped areas;
(e) details of the irrigation system;
(f) for landscaped areas using a low water irrigation system, the details of the system, including the extent of water delivery; and
(g) for landscaped areas with a building below, the following additional information must be provided:
(i) the location of underlying slabs and abutting walls;
(ii) cross-sections detailing the waterproofing membranes, protection board, insulation and drainage layer;
(iii) depths of the growing medium for each planting area;
(iv) the mature height and spread of all trees and shrubs; and
(v) the means of irrigating the planting areas.
(3) The landscaped areas shown on the landscape plan, approved by the Development Authority must be maintained on the parcel for so long as the development exists.
(4) All soft surfaced landscaped areas must be irrigated by an underground irrigation system, unless a low water irrigation system is provided.
Back to Top
1295 (1) All plant materials must be of a species capable of healthy growth in Calgary and must conform to the standards of the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association.
(2) Deciduous trees must have a minimum calliper of 50 millimetres and at least 50.0 per cent of the provided deciduous trees must have a minimum calliper of 75 millimetres at the time of planting.
(3) Coniferous trees must have a minimum height of 2.0 metres.
(4) Shrubs must be a minimum height or spread of 0.6 metres at the time of planting.
(5) For landscaped areas with a building below, planting areas must have the following minimum soil depths:
(a) 1.2 metres for trees;
(b) 0.6 metres for shrubs; and
(c) 0.3 metres for all other planting areas.
(6) The soil depths referenced in subsection (5) must cover an area equal to the mature spread of the planting material.
(7) Landscaped areas may include Urban Agriculture.
Back to Top
Low Water Irrigation System
1296 (1) When a low water irrigation system is provided, only trees and shrubs must be irrigated and the extent of water delivery must be confined to the tree and shrub area.
(2) When a low water irrigation system is provided, trees and shrubs that have similar water consumption requirements must be grouped together.
Back to Top
Additional Landscaping Rules
1297 (1) Unless otherwise referenced in a District, all areas of a parcel, except for those portions specifically required for motor vehicle access, motor vehicle parking stalls, loading stalls, garbage facilities or any purpose allowed by the Development Authority, must be a landscaped area.
(2) Every building on a parcel must have at least one sidewalk connecting the public entrance to a public sidewalk, or in the case where there is no public sidewalk, to the nearest street.
(3) Where a building contains more than one use, every use that has an exterior public entrance must either:
(a) have a sidewalk connecting the public entrance to the sidewalk required by subsection (2); or
(b) have a sidewalk connecting that public entrance to a public sidewalk.
(4) Where a sidewalk provided in satisfaction of this section, is next to a portion of a building, the sidewalk must extend along the entire length of that side of the building.
(5) Every sidewalk provided must:
(a) be a hard surfaced landscaped area;
(b) be a minimum width of 2.0 metres;
(c) have different surfacing than the surfacing of the parking areas on the parcel; and
(d) be raised above the surface of the parking area when located in a parking area.
Back to Top
1298 (1) The required minimum amenity space is 5.0 square metres per unit.
(2) Amenity space may be provided as common amenity space, private amenity space or a combination of both.
(3) When the private amenity space provided is 5.0 square metres or less per unit, that specific area will be included to satisfy the amenity space requirement.
(4) When the private amenity space exceeds 5.0 square metres per unit, only 5.0 square metres per unit may be included to satisfy the amenity space requirement.
(5) Private amenity space must:
(a) be in the form of a balcony, deck or patio; and
(b) where the private amenity space is a deck or patio have no minimum dimensions of less than 2.0 metres.
(6) Common amenity space:
(a) may be provided as common amenity space – indoors and as common amenity space – outdoors;
(b) must be accessible from all the units;
(c) must have a contiguous area of not less than 50.0 square metres with no dimension less than 6.0 metres; and
(d) may be located at or above grade.
(7) A maximum of 50.0 per cent of the required amenity space may be provided as common amenity space – indoors.
(8) Common amenity space – outdoors must provide a balcony, deck or patio and at least one of the following as permanent features:
(a) a barbeque; or
Back to Top
1299 Garbage containers and waste material must be stored either:
(a) inside a building that contains another approved use; or
(b) in a screened garbage container enclosure approved by the Development Authority.
1300 Recycling facilities must be provided for every building.
1301 Mechanical systems or equipment located outside of a building shall be positioned, camouflaged or screened from view of a public space, or from view of a parcel designated as a residential district, located within 30.0 metres of the equipment, using a line of sight of 1.7 metres above grade.
1302 Buildings, finished grade of a parcel and vegetation within a corner visibility triangle must not be located between 0.75 metres and 4.6 metres above the lowest elevation of the street.
Back to Top
1303 The following sunlight protection areas must not be placed in greater shadow by a development as measured on September 21, at the times and locations indicated for each area, than were already existing on the date the development permit was applied for:
(a) Stephen (8) Avenue Mall between 2 Street SW and MacLeod Trail SE as measured on the northerly 7.0 metres of the required right-of-way as stated in Part 3 Division 1 from 12:00 p.m. to 2.00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(b) Barclay (3 Street SW) Mall as measured on the:
(i) westerly 8.0 metres of the required right-of-way as stated in Part 3 Division 1 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time; and
(ii) easterly 8.0 metres of the required right-of-way as stated in Part 3 Division 1 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(c) Olympic Plaza as measured on those portions contained within Plan “A”, Block 52, Lots 1 to 38. OT from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(d) Century Gardens as measured on those portions contained within Plan 8050EJ, Block 46, Lots B to E; Plan A1, Block 46, Lots 27-40 and Plan A1, Block 46, OT from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(e) McDougall School as measured on the north half of the block bounded by 4 and 5 Avenues SW between 6 and 7 Streets SW from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(f) Courthouse Block as measured on the northerly 18.0 metres of the block bounded by 6 and 7 Avenues SW between 4 and 5 Street SW from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(g) Mewata Armoury as measured on the northerly 160.0 metres of the site on Plan 3445JK, Block 2 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time;
(h) The Riverbank (not including the Riverbank Promenade and between 3 and 7 Streets SW) as measured throughout the 20.0 metre wide area abutting the southern top of bank of the Bow River, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time; and
(i) The Riverbank Promenade (between 3 Street SW and Centre Street S.) as measured throughout the 9.0 metre wide area abutting the southern top of bank of the Bow River, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time.
1304 All developments must comply with the access requirements of the Controlled Streets Bylaw.
Back to Top